The seven chakras are connected to different glands and organs in the body and are responsible for uniform distribution of “Chi” (life energy) through them. When there is blockage in this life energy or one or more Chakras, the individual may suffer from health or mental issues. Each Chakra is also associated with specific chakra colors. The colors are typically broken down into seven and follow the order of the colors of the rainbow, starting from red to purple
The colors of the seven main chakras are:
· Red – First chakra
· Orange – Second chakra
· Yellow – Third chakra
· Green – Fourth chakra
· Blue – Fifth chakra
· Indigo – Sixth chakra
· Purple – Seventh chakra
Each color reflects a vibration or frequency radiating through the chakras. While the colors reflect different frequencies of energy associated with each energy center, their meaning may be related to the function of its associated chakras and general symbolism.
· Meaning of the Red Color: The chakra color associated with the Root Chakra (first chakra) is Red. It symbolizes safety, survival, grounding, nourishment from the Earth energy. It also indicative of our need for logic, physical strength and fight or flight response when faced with danger.
· Meaning of the Orange Color: The chakra color associated with Sacral Chakra (second chakra) is orange. It carries meanings associated with emotions, creativity, sexuality, and is associated with water, flow. This color also impact our joy, desire and compassion for others.
· Meaning of the Yellow Color: Yellow is the color of the Solar Plexus chakra (third chakra). This chakra that is responsible for one’s personal and professional success. It allows one to feel more confident, cheerful and energetic. It symbolizes mental activities, intellect, personal power and will.
· Meaning of the Green Color: The heart chakra (fourth chakra) is associated with the color green. It is connected with love, relating, integration, compassion.
· Meaning of the Blue Color: Blue is the color of the throat chakra (fifth chakra), it symbolizes self-expression, expression of truth, creative expression, communication, perfect form and patterns.
· Meaning of the Indigo Color: Color of the third eye chakra (sixth chakra) is indigo, it evokes intuition, extrasensory perception, and inner wisdom. It is connected to the Pineal or pituitary gland and those with a well-balanced third eye chakra can have telepathic abilities and charismatic personality.
· Meaning of the Purple Color: Purple is the color of the crown chakra (seventh chakra); it’s associated with the universal, connection with spirituality, consciousness. This chakra can render individuals the ability to perform miracles, transcend the laws of nature and have higher awareness.
Color is part of light. Light is made up of vibrating energy. This energy vibrates at different speeds, and all of the energy put together creates the color spectrum. Lower vibrations produce warmer colors like reds and oranges, while higher vibrations produce cooler colors like blues and indigo. At the highest vibration, the two ends of the color spectrum meet together and produce purple.
Chakra Colors and Healing Stones
Laying gemstones on the body for healing purposes has been practiced across numerous cultures. Every stone has a unique vibration, just as every person does. Therefore, the particular stones needed for balancing the chakras will vary somewhat from person to person. This is why each chakra has different stones. The best way to determine which gemstone is good for you is to test by place it on your body and see which ones feel right for you. Color coding can help when selecting chakra healing stones, here is a list of the major chakras colors and their corresponding stones
Root Chakra (1st)
- Garnet, Hematite, Red Jasper, Black or Red Onyx, Obsidian, Pyrite, Smoky Quartz
Sacral Chakra (2nd)
- Carnelian, Sunstone, Amber, Moonstone, Chalcedony
Solar Plexus Chakra (3rd)
- Topaz. Tiger Eye, Citrine, Hessonite, Zincite, Ametrine
Heart Chakra (4th)
- Jade, Rose Quartz, Aventurine, Malachite, Unakite
Throat Chakra (5th)
- Soladite, Blue Agate, Turquoise, Blue Topaz, Kyamite, Amazonite, Aquamarine
Third Eye Chakra (6th)
- Sapphire, Lapis Lazuli, Azurite, Charoite, Labradorite, Obsidian
Crown Chakra (7th)
- Amethyst, Clear Quartz, Iolite, Opal, Diamond
Working with colors is a great way to balance the chakras. At the most obvious level, one can match a color with its associated with the energy center to support or activate its flow. The traditional chakra system distinguishes 7 main colors associated with each energy center. Yet, healing with colors opens up a whole new range of options. It allows us to shift from a static representation of the chakra system to a dynamic interplay of tints we can use to better support the energy flow in the body.