Located at the forefront of your brain, between your two eyes the Third Eye chakra is the sixth of the body's seven major chakras. This energy center is associated with higher knowledge, the subtler aspects of sight, and intuition. Sometimes referred to as the “conscience,” this chakra governs the pineal gland and your vision, memory, and imagination. One of the key purposes of the chakras is to provide a sound and useful link between the conscious mind and the natural world, and the 6th chakra is where the flow of energy interacts with your consciousness.
An overactive third eye chakra can be disorienting and cause of much psychological and psychic distress. Having an overactive third eye might sweep you off your feet if you are not grounded enough. The constant flow of thoughts can be mentally exhausting. You may feel intimidated by having to make decisions that would normally be quite simple. You can feel tired, foggy, indecisive, disconnected and disoriented.
When the Third Eye is balanced you see everything clearly. You function and make decisions with a sense of neutrality; meaning you are concerned, but not attached, to any single outcome.
Signs of Blocked Third Eye Chakra
Physical signs of imbalance of the third eye chakra can result in problems with vision, headaches, migraines, and dizziness. Emotional signs of sixth chakra imbalance include depression, anxiety, paranoia and mental confusion.
Clearing Third Eye Chakra
Foundationally speaking, the sixth chakra is about letting go of the ego. Embracing compassion and forgiveness is essential to successful clearing and healing of this energy center. One remedy for alleviating the issue of a Third Eye blockage is meditation. Incorporating healthy eating and some form of energy healing, such as aromatherapy, the use of chakra stones, or sound therapy, can also help restore balance to the Third Eye.
Third Eye Chakra Healing
There are several ways to restore balance to your Third Eye chakra, including the use energy healing, such as Reiki, meditation, sound therapy, yoga, acupuncture or acupressure.
Meditation sessions designed to focus on the Third Eye chakra can be highly effective at healing imbalances and restoring full function of this chakra. Sit comfortably, visualize the proper color (indigo) small ball of energy in the area of your Third Eye, keep your breathing deep and steady. Concentrating on this image can not only open up the energy center, but it helps dispel imbalance and heal the chakra.
To maintain your focus and get energy flowing directly to the 6th chakra, use the appropriate mudra when you meditate. Bring your hands together in front of your breast area. Touch the fingertips of your middle fingers together and point them away from you. Touch your thumb tips and point them towards you. Fold the rest of your fingers to point back at your chest with their knuckles touching.
- Select a place where you will be comfortable and undisturbed for the duration of this meditation. Loosen any tight or restrictive clothing and lower the lights if they are bright.
- Proceed with the third eye meditation slowly, allowing plenty of time to settle in and deepen the experience.
- Breathe in deep through your nose and hold it for an instant before letting it go gently out through your mouth.
- Relax your face by separating your teeth slightly, and notice that your entire body relaxes a little bit more. Spread more and more throughout your entire body all the way through you
- Bring your attention to a point between your eyebrows. Become aware that your third eye, which is the area of energy in your forehead, is opening and radiating light. Imagine light about the size of a golf ball radiating golden light much like the sun.
- Let go of fear, anxiety, or uncertainty, and thoughts that this won’t work for you. You can do this by getting in touch with the resistance, taking a deep breath, and exhaling out through your mouth as you let go.
- Allow the golden sphere of light in your forehead to open and send gentle streams of golden light in all directions letting it relax you.
- Allow your body to relax more and more
- Sense and feel you are becoming lighter and lighter as more and more light flows through your third eye and throughout your body.
- Allow yourself to let go and release all questions and all uncertainty.
- Give yourself permission to let your third eye open naturally and automatically on its own. Relaxing more fully and opening more completely.
- Let your mind relax around any ideas of what to expect.
- This is a good time to call out to spirit guides, and ask them to support and in opening your third eye and your clairvoyant vision.
- Allow the light to continue to flow through you and out your third eye chakra. Let this light become more clear and pure.
- Now connect with your soul and Higher Self, and ask it to fill you with the purest light.
- Ask if there is a message for you about opening your third eye. Pause here for a minute or two and see if you receive any impressions.
- Notice if there are any thoughts, images, impressions, or visions that come into your mind’s eye.
- It might feel to you like you are using your imagination, but in time you will come to realize that you are receiving impressions of subtle energy. Just follow the experience into the interior worlds and they will unfold on their own.
- When you feel you have experienced this third eye meditation long enough, slowly bring your awareness fully present in this place and become fully aware of your body.
- Say to yourself, “I am fully present. Here and now.”
- Now take a deep breath, stretch out, and commit that you will continue practicing the third eye meditation.
Introducing yoga as part of a healthy lifestyle is beneficial for mind, body, and spirit. Yoga postures are designed to build the body’s stamina, strength, and flexibility. It also helps nurture the body’s energy centers. When you incorporate yoga poses to open and balance individual chakras, the entire, intricate chakra system benefits. As one chakra opens and builds energy, each of the remaining chakras also enjoy a boost. If you incorporate yoga into your meditation work, concentrate on doing more shoulder stands and forward bends to direct positive energy to the third eye chakra. The child's pose is also especially helpful. Here are some beneficial yoga poses to get you started:
- Big Toe: considered a deep forward bend, this position stretches the calves and hamstrings while stimulating and balancing the Third Eye.
- Downward Facing Dog: this standing, forward bend calms the mind, stretches the calves, arms, and spine and energizes the rest of the body.
- Child’s Pose: a pose of respite, this position allows you to rest and focus inward to open and balance the sixth chakra.
- Shoulderstand: as you stretch your shoulders and neck in this inverted pose, the shoulder stand helps to calm the mind while opening and balancing the Third Eye.
- Standing Half Forward Bend: this asana strengthens the back to improve posture and stimulates energy flow through the sixth energy center.
Incorporating the use of essential oils, such as to anoint the forehead at the location of the third eye chakra can assist with cleansing and balancing. You can also introduce essential oils to your home, bath, and body. To help heal and activate your sixth chakra, consider trying one or a combination of these essential oils:
- Roman or German Chamomile
- Clary Sage
Gemstones and Crystals
Use healing stones that possess the same vibrational frequency and chakra color as the third eye chakra to clear away negativity and restore proper energy flow. Stones, crystals, and gems that share the same coloration, energy properties, and mental affinities can assist to balance this energy center. Good stones for the third eye chakra include:
- Amethyst: enhances your intuition and encourages inner spirituality and strengths
- Quartz Crystal: Universal crystal, clarity of consciousness….The quartz crystal can be ‘programmed’ to help clear away negative energy from the aura and re-align the chakra energy centers of the body.
- Lapis Lazuli: this stone connects you to a higher truth and draws your attention to the third eye. Knowledge, wisdom, perfection, protection, and creative expression.
- Fluorite: Fluorite cleanses your energy and invites positive energy into your space. Stability, order, discernment, and concentration. Helps one to understand and maintain ideals.
- Shungite: Shungite neutralizes the energy that is released during third eye chakra healing, helping create a safe space to heal and address hidden emotions
Place your third eye crystals in the grid formation shown in the picture above on your forehead and space surrounding your head. If you don’t have anyone around to help you place the third eye chakra stones, it may be easier to first lay the stones in the formation next to you and then transfer them over to your body. Once you have finished the grid, close your eyes and breathe deeply, entering a meditative state.
Fruits and Veggies
Consider adding fruits and vegetables to your diet. Consuming beverages and foods with natural blue and purple hues can help bolster positive energy flow through the Third Eye chakra. Drink dark fruit juices, such as grape and blackberry. Consume more of:Black currants
- Rainbow chard
Pick a Mantra
A mantra is a word or phrase that you will repeat during your meditation practice. You might say the mantra internally or out loud. Your mantra should be something that is personal and meaningful to you.
- Your mantra should be something that you want to integrate into your mind, or your awareness. For example, you might choose to repeat, "I choose happiness". This will help reinforce the idea that you are going to focus on feeling joy throughout the day.
- Another mantra idea is to choose just one word. For example, you could repeat the word "peace".
Be More Mindful
Being mindful means that you are more actively aware of what is going on around you. You are consciously paying attention to your emotions and physical sensations. Being more mindful will help you to get in tune with yourself and the world around you.
- As you are becoming more observant, avoid being judgmental. Just observe and acknowledge without forming an opinion about whether something is "right" or "wrong".
- For example, if you are feeling stressed out, do not judge yourself for feeling that way. Simply observe and acknowledge your emotions
Work with Color
The color most commonly associated with the sixth chakra is indigo or deep blue. You can encourage yourself to be mindful of the chakra and enhance the positive energy around you by associating with these shades as much as possible. Clothing, decorations, and candles with a deep blue color will all help you pay more attention to the Third Eye chakra.
Keeping all of your chakras in balance can sometimes be a challenge. If you find that you experience the sort of mental and physical troubles associated with an unbalanced Third Eye chakra, hopefully the suggestions provided here can help you overcome them. Keeping the Third Eye open is an extremely important part of living a balanced and connected life.
Unlock Your Chakra Collection
Our handmade and handcrafted Healing Crystal Bracelet collection, is designed to help manifest the dreams and wellness of the wearer. Each piece of gemstone jewelry is specifically created for healing the mind, body and soul, and to help balance the physical and metaphysical energies of the body. Please browse our collection by visiting Shop Now